About MontebelloDepartmentsCalendarsServicesCity OfficesFAQ's
Homepage > ... > Planning & Community Development > Planning Division > FAQPrint friendly format
Planning Contact

1600 W. Beverly Blvd.
Montebello, CA 90640
Phone: 323-887-1477
Fax: 323-887-1488

Do I need a permit to build a wall/fence?

How can I find out the zoning of a particular property and what the property can be used for?
Call the Planning Division at (323) 887-1477, or visit the Planning Division in person in the west wing of City Hall at 1600 W. Beverly Blvd.

How long does the plan check process take?
Typically, the plan check process takes about 4 weeks.  Plans are first submitted to the Building & Safety Division.  The Building & Safety Division will retain a set for their review.  The remaining sets will be distributed to other City departments for their review.

How many residential units can I construct on my property?
Because different zones allow for different building densities, the number of units you can construct depends on the zoning district in which your property is classified.  It also depends on the size of the property.  Call the Planning Division at 323-887-1477 for more detailed information.

How tall can I build a fence/wall on my property?
A wall/fence constructed within the back or side yards of residentially zoned properties cannot exceed six feet in height. A solid wall and fence constructed in the front yard cannot exceed three feet in height.  A maximum height of six feet is allowed if at least 50 percent of the wall is constructed with decorative wrought iron.

I received a public notice with information about a public hearing for a planned project near my house, how can I obtain information about the project?
You may obtain information by calling the contact phone number on the notice, or you may come to the Planning Division counter and request to review the file or plans for the project. If you wish to provide public testimony on the proposed project you should attend the public hearing or submit written documentation to the Planning Division prior to the hearing date.

If I have a building that does not comply with today’s zoning standards on my property, can I rebuild the building if it has been damaged or destroyed?
Yes. The building may be rebuilt if the costs of repairs are less than 37% of the current fair market value of the building, not including land.  However, if the cost of repairs exceeds 37% of fair market value, then the building will have to be built to conform to the current zoning, building, and fire codes.

If I want to construct an addition to my house, what are the setback requirements?
The setbacks may vary depending on the location of the property.  Typically, the following are the required yard setbacks: front yard 20 feet; side yard 5 feet; and rear yard 10 feet.  Call the Planning Division at 323-887-1477 for more detailed information.

If I want to start a home based business, what kinds of business can I operate and what are the applicable regulations that I need to be aware of?
Home-based businesses are restricted to office type, low-impact uses only. Your home may not function as a retail shop, be used to store materials, or operate mechanical equipment other than that necessary for housekeeping purposes.  In order to start a business, a business license application is required.  An additional sheet signed by the property owner is required if you are a tenant.  The application may be picked up at the Planning Counter or Finance Department located in the west wing of City Hall at 1600 W. Beverly Blvd. 

What should my first step be if I want to start a business in Montebello?
Before signing any leases or moving in, check with the Planning Division to see if the type of business is permitted.  Some businesses that may have the potential to impact the area require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP). An application for a CUP is typically a 3-4 month process in which operational impacts are analyzed by the Planning staff and are then subject to Planning Commission approval or denial. 

What type of construction materials can I use?
The following materials are allowed for any wall that is visible from the public right-of-way: slump-stone, split-face or similar.  If cinder blocks are used, the wall must be treated with stucco.  The following materials are not permitted in the residential zones: barbed, pointed, chain link, spiked, razor, or piercing materials.

Where do I go to get a building permit for a fence/wall, and how long will it take?
First step is visit the Planning Division counter at City Hall to discuss your proposal.  Please bring along a preliminary site plan/plot plan that shows the general shape and dimensions of your property, any adjacent street(s), and the locations of all existing buildings and structures on the property.  Also, highlight the areas where the fence/wall will be located.  Generally a permit for a fence/wall can be pulled the same day as long as you have a clear idea of what you want to build.  Walls that are less than three feet in height do not require a building permit.

Who do I call about holding an estate or moving sale?
Call the Code Enforcement Division at 323-887-1490.

Who do I call if I have a dispute with my tenant (or landlord) and I need assistance in knowing what my rights are?
Call the Economic Development Department at 323-887-1394 or come by City Hall located at 1600 West Beverly Boulevard.  Their office hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and closed on Friday.

Who do I call if I have a dispute with a neighbor over a property line?
You should retain a land surveyor to identify the precise location of the disputed property line.  If the dispute continues, it is considered a civil matter and may require the assistance of an attorney.

Who do I call to report illegal business activities in a home or garage?
Call the Code Enforcement Division at 323-887-1490.

HomeAbout MontebelloDepartmentsCalendarsServicesCity OfficesFAQ's
Powered by Civica Software